Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What you see is what you get.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

 When I saw this listed on Etsy.....

 (Etsy photo)

I was smitten.
I couldn't spend my Etsy gift card fast enough!

Now that I have the clock in my possession I realize my mistake,
 but I'd also like to get your opinion on the matter.

What is the animal at the top of the clock?

Tick tock, tick tock.

Okay, time's up!

What's your guess?  A cow?
That's what saw, too, but let's moove in for a closer look, shall we?

It appears to be a hunting themed clock with a rabbit on one side and a 
pheasant duck partridge woodpecker bird of some species on the other.
Now I ask you, what in the world does a cow have to do with hunting?
Do hunters ride cows into the wilderness?  It's not
a common sight in these parts.

My curiosity got the best of me, so I researched
the subject on Google and here's what I found....
 

Aha!

This makes much more sense to me, to place a deer caribou antelope elk antlered
 hunted animal at the head of the clock, don't you think?

Google Images


Bag o' parts.
I'll take one please!


Also, my newly acquired clock seems to be missing a decorative piece on the bottom.
And the pendulum.
And part of the deer caribou antelope elk large mammal's ear!
This fact was disclosed to me before the sale, but in my haste I thought she wrote
that part of the rabbit's ear had gone missing.  No biggie.
On the other hand, to have the star of the show arrive on my doorstep
with an amputated ear was.....well, rather disappointing to say the least.

This is not the first time I've bought a clock with questionable parts.

In my defense, this clock was only $3.

The clock is mine now, so I purchased a chunk of air-dry clay to repair the ear.
I'm no sculptor, so who knows what animal it will resemble when I'm done!

Moral of the story:
What you see is what you get.
(Look closely and read  s l o w l y.)


I still see a cow.

In the end, I do not regret my decision to buy this forlorn little clock.
I'll smile every time I pass it in my foyer.  :o)

Here's an entire collection of miniature cuckoo clock eye candy
 for you to enjoy......

Sold for $415 here and not a cow in sight.

Thanks for visiting and stay tuned for part moo, I mean two.
Vickie

I'm joining the paries at:
Share Your Cup Thursday  Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Let's Talk Vintage  Bella Rosa Antiques


Coming soon, curtain progress!

25 comments:

  1. It is still cute no matter what the mammal is supposed to be. I have made some eBay mistakes before.
    I can't wait to see the progress in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie,
    I love your clock. I think if it is a moose or cow or whatever it is so great. The fact that it makes you smile is all that is important. Enjoy the ticking and coo koo!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha...your clock is still cute despite having an unnamed creature on top. I still say it looks like a cow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a cow clock, normally they are deer. I have one...somewhere in the basement. It doesn't work. And at the moment it doesn't fit my decor. If I come across it, I'll have to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Oh, poor little clock but it sure is cute! I would have thought it was a cow too! Hope all is well except your missing horns! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny story. Yes, I see a cow too. ;-)
    Glad you have a good sense of humor. Fun idea to group a collection together as in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. Love your "cow" to death. I've made similar quick decisions while garage saling or thrifting, only to arrive home to discover a flaw, a missing piece, or some other misunderstanding. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog today. I've poked around yours and love every vintage thing--how have I not stumbled on your lovely blog before?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Cows are very hip in interiors right now so I'd stick with a cow! Put a little bell round his neck for added Swissness.
    It's going to be a bit of a jigsaw puzzle for you to sort out but I really enjoy that kind of challenge don't you? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your clock, Vickie...absolutely charming! I buy broken stuff all the time, especially animals, and give them a home. What a fun thing to collect! Looking forward to the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your clock is still oh so charming, even though it was a bit of a disappointment. Even when I'm out shopping in person, I try to be so careful to look over an item well, but I still sometimes have surprises when I get home.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that style clock fits your home well. You have a lot of retro and vintage items in your home. this clock just adds more charm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny. I can't really tell that part of the ear is missing. I like it looking like a cow. We have two small cuckoos (plus one big one if you count me!), one natural and one painted. I've never found the right place to hang them though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amputations will happen out in the wildreness. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nobody's perfect (pun intended). It's adorable, and if it makes you smile, all the better!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your story is too funny!

    I bought an illustrated book once online because I liked other books by the author. I was going to use it for discussion in my classroom and had it on top of a stack of books to take to school. My son picked it up and asked me if I had looked through the entire book. It turns out that there were some extremely inappropriate illustrations that my students might have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL. We used to have a cuckoo clock when I was little with a hard-working bird that would come out every half-hour without fail. I used to love it. I suppose my parents not so much because one day they decided to stop winding it :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's a moose. It looks perfectly sweet to me :>)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a darling little clock, antlers or not!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vickie, you make me laugh! I did see a cow also and thought that was so unique. I had never seen a cuckoo clock with a cow. lol! Makes sense that it's some kind of deer, but I like it as is and it is now a cow. :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vickie, I thought it was a cow, too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the cow. No one else has one with a cow. It's special!

    ReplyDelete
  22. HAHAHA.... that is so much like me. I do that all the time and end up with all kind of strange things. I would have thought it was a cow too :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, sweet one, for the lovely comments on my sewing room.
    Be a sweetie,Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks really pretty, and I love the clock. I think I like the black. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...